It is Palm Sunday, a day we remember Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Of course we all know that by the middle of the week, the people would change their minds about him and would want him to be hanged. But that is getting ahead of the story.
1 : exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
2 : divine
3 : devoted entirely to the deity or the work of the deity
4 a : having a divine quality
b : venerated as or as if sacred
The priest, after hearing my confession, said that my invitation is to walk with Jesus in his passion and death in this week, which by definition is to be devoted entirely to Him anyway. I consider it as not asking too much of my time; for one week, out of the more than fifty-two (52) weeks in a year, devoted to prayer, silence, veneration, recollection, meditation, and even solitude. The priest said I might want to ask the Lord, "How do You want me to walk with you?"
I asked Jesus during the anticipated Palm Sunday mass yesterday. Then after that, I saw an answer. I was reminded of my personal cross. I will hoist it above my shoulders and carry it, like my Lord did. I will take up my cross, even embrace it, to follow Jesus.
I could go to the mall, the beach, the pool, the hotel, the resort, on 51 other weeks this year. In fact, I already did some of that. It is time for God, and God alone.
Our parish has this schedule for Holy Week. I invite you to check your parishes as well, and take part in this week, so that we will all feel Easter on Sunday.
- Holy Monday = Recollection after the 6 p.m. mass
- Holy Wednesday = Kumpisalang Bayan (Went to confession already to avoid the queues.)
- Holy Thursday = Chrism Mass, 7 am at the Cathedral (I want to attend for the first time.)
- = Commemoration of the Institution of the Eucharist and Washing of the Feet
- = Start of Easter Triduum
- = Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
- Good Friday = Veneration of the Holy Cross
- = Procession
- Holy Saturday = Easter Vigil
- Easter Sunday = Salubong Mass (I will serve at this mass, my earliest assignment ever.)
- = Easter Sunday masses
How about you, how will you walk with Jesus this Holy Week?