Thursday, July 15, 2004

So Young

Chasin' the moon, running wild and free; Following through every dream and every need. It didn't matter that we didn't eat. It didn't matter that we didn't sleep. I used to sing along with The Corrs: "Coz we are so young now, we are so young, so young now/ And when tommorow comes, we can do it all again..."


As a child, I only got sick once a year, usually around the rainy season in July. Otherwise I had perfect attendance in school. I used to be able to survive non-stop kuwentuhan during high school sleep-overs, and go straight to 7a.m. class afterwards. Since I hated my Economics subjects in College, I just studied for exams overnight and then took them the next day, running on coffee and Lipovitan. I used to attend all-night parties and "study groups" in law school and still be able to make it to class, sometimes even surprising the professors by being able to recite cases or laws coherently. As a fresh law firm associate, I used to skip meals just to meet deadlines and work straight til midnight running on adrenaline and pressure. And in my early days in Lingkod, I used to go home at 2 a.m. on weekdays, go to work, and still be a nice person to be around with.

My days of irregular eating and sleeping habits seem to be over, though. Not one but three doctors this year have reminded me that what triggers my migraine and vertigo, and what makes me prone to coughs and flu, are the following: coffee (anything with caffein, including tea and softdrinks), chocolates, and cheese. I should also avoid stress. I should also have a regular bedtime and stick to it. I've been drinking coffee since I was eight years old, and have been a night owl for as long as I can remember. I'm guilty of all these because of my lifestyle choices.

Just thinking of the workload I left behind while on sick leave stressed me out already. And I have yet to think of a way to be with Lingkod QC and not stay up late. Of course my family is nagging me about service, that I should give it up. I believe, however, that nothing is impossible with God. I shall not be stubborn, I shall try to substantially comply with the doctor's orders, but I think to give up service altogether is out of the question at this point. For when I am weak, then I am strong. This also means I should start delegating more, and planning for my upcoming turnover of service. :)

No comments: