Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shameless Plugs: Public Service Announcements

I have been following the daily mass readings for more than a decade now. These Easter readings are filling me with hope and nourishing my soul. Jesus said in John 6:35, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst."

This gives us Christians an unshakable foundation in the midst of the controversial news these days involving a pandemic threat from swine flu, a convicted rapist being set free, and many other issues that could lead to hopelessness and even despair.

It is in this spirit that I write these posts. I believe that there are people who have been given material blessings and who have big hearts and are willing to help those in need. I present to you some of the ways wherein you could give back to the Lord:

1. A volunteer catechist, with whom I have served for almost four years now, wants to pursue a college degree, A.B. Theology. She has very little means to do this and is counting on the Lord's provision. She wasn't able to finish college because she helped send her younger siblings to school. If you want to help her raise the funds she needs, kindly get in touch with me through galadriella2007@yahoo.com.

2. Youth Alive, the youth ministry of the Missionaries of God's Love and the Parish of Saint Benedict, is on its third year. More than a hundred teenagers flock to the parish three times a week to receive teaching, sing in praise and worship of the Lord, and join sharing groups. There are games and picnics too that make the Youth Alive Summer Program a must for everyone from 14 to 21 who live near our parish. We are accepting donations in cash or kind for their daily snacks. For donations, kindly email me or post a comment below.

3. There is a multipurpose hall being built at the back of our parish church. The building shall include meeting rooms for the different parish ministries, a baptistry, an adoration chapel, and accommodations for the priests. Donations in cash or in kind (building materials) are accepted. Kindly get in touch with me for more details.

I hope some of you are moved to give. It does not have to be big, if it comes from the heart. We will pray for you and will become your prayer partners for life. Thanks.

No comments: