Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Father's Prayer

He doesn't know about it, and perhaps he won't be able to read this post, but I found this poem/prayer in my father's neat handwriting on a sheet of paper inserted - as a bookmark, perhaps - inside one of his books.  I took it out and probably deprived him of a proper bookmark as well as a prayer he wrote down so he could memorize.  While cleaning out old stuff I found the sheet of paper and thought of my father, who is on vacation right now with my sister in the US.

Happy Father's Day, Papa.


This is my prayer to thee, my lord - 
strike, strike at the root of penury in my heart.
Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows.

Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service.

Give me the strength never to disown the poor or bend my knees before insolent might.

Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles.

And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love.

-- Rabindranath Tagore, GITANJALI, XXX VI 4

Someone in our extended family, a father himself to wonderful children and handsome grandchildren, and a husband to my thoughtful Tita V, is in the E.R. right now after suffering from another stroke.  I am offering prayers for him and for his family.  Mommy P, God bless the Q's.

No comments: