Thursday, July 17, 2008

Address of BXVI

"Dear friends, life is not governed by chance; it is not random. Your very existence has been willed by God, blessed and given a purpose (cf. Gen 1:28)! Life is not just a succession of events or experiences, helpful though many of them are. It is a search for the true, the good and the beautiful.  It is to this end that we make our choices; it is for this that we exercise our freedom; it is in this – in truth, in goodness, and in beauty – that we find happiness and joy."

The above is an excerpt from the address of Pope Benedict XVI to the World Youth Day delegates earlier today in Sydney.  I watched from home and felt him speaking to me, waving at me, smiling at me.  He is a picture of peace and tranquility amidst a busy world.  

I watched the live telecast on EWTN, too bad they don't have 24/7 coverage.  It's a blessing in disguise that I stayed home to rest today.  I was restless until I heard Pope Benedict's message.

Sydney is a beautiful city and it provides a perfect backdrop for this gathering of young pilgrims from around the globe.  

Read BXVI's entire address at the Vatican website, linked here

Watch highlights at the official WYD08 media site here.

My friends texted that they saw the Pope, and he waved at them (or at least they claimed he did see them).  

I find it cute that our 81-year old Pontiff sent a text message to the pilgrims and signed it  "-BXVI".  He is a father, grandfather, priest, bishop, and Pope to us all, and he is out there evangelizing the world, one young pilgrim at a time.  My only WYD experience was here in Manila in 1995, when Pope John Paul II (we love you!) received rock star reception.  I was there in Luneta.  I handled discussion groups.  I sang with the music ministry from my youth group for one event in one campus, among hundreds held on the same week.  It was quite an experience and it has helped shape my desire to share the Gospel to many young people.

I will stay tuned until Sunday's closing mass, through cable, Internet, or text.  In this event I found something to be joyful about.  

No comments: