Sunday, July 27, 2008

Who and Whose I Am

It happens to everyone.  One slip and anyone could fall.  We could fall in love and fall out of love.  And we could forget everything we've learned, and everything we were taught.

Until somebody reminds us who we are, and, more importantly, whose we are.

The reason I have stayed afloat is that despite the thorn in my flesh, I have made myself accountable to spiritual directors, confessors, leaders, and friends who have patiently been reminding me through the years to fix my eyes on Jesus and on eternal life.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is easily tired.  Sometimes, we just want to enjoy what is before us.  Temporal needs are so tempting to satisfy, because they are attractive, because they are common, and because they are persistent.  

I am human, yes, but I am also God's daughter.  I am weak but my strength is in the Lord, who sends sunshine amidst the rain, and who brings shelter, comfort, and an umbrella during a storm.  

There is sunshine in my life and I have seen that I always have a choice to do the right thing.  I always have options.  And I choose to be holy.  I would rather die poor and holy than live rich and damned.  

But same time yesterday, I was not so sure where I could go, or how I could stand up against the world.  What a difference a day makes.

One day in the Lord's courts is indeed better than a thousand elsewhere.  And I could appreciate this better after I've tried being in the latter.

Apologies for the seeming vagueness of this post.  Who wants to read about details, when what we are meant to share are the lessons?

Rejoice with me, for I was almost lost, but now I'm found.  I could fall again, I know, but hopefully not enough to turn my back completely on God's invitation to union with Him not just today but for all time.

1 comment:

Catergeia said...

Happy Birthday Sis Ella :) God bless ur plans :)

Sherill
Lingkod Makati