Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year Realities

Back to reality, I texted a teenager friend this morning who wanted to see me or at least accompany me on my errands. I said they would get bored with the things I got lined up for the day. Reality means doing the laundry, paying the bills, watching the news, and facing unfinished projects. For though the year has changed, it still feels like one continuous week for me.

I heard on TV the newscaster from a Hollywood show who updated us on the latest celebrity hook-ups and commented, "It's already a busy 2007." It came true for me today - the busyness, not the hook-ups. By the time I got to the 6p.m. mass, I was exhausted and felt a new year's resolution just got violated today - for I was busy already and it's only the third day of the first month of the year.

I was invited to spend a Day of Prayer by my old community and my new action group, separately, this Saturday, but I had to beg off because of other commitments. To think I'm the one who is thirsting for not just a day of prayer, but hopefully a month of silent one-on-one with the Lord. All in due time. Maybe when the newly renovated Cenacle Retreat House re-opens this February and my government work appointment has not yet pushed through, I could indulge myself in a serious retreat. For now I have to be content with learning to pray the Liturgy of the Hours and taking time to reflect and journal more.

I'm daydreaming of getting some spa treatments (it's been ages!) and shopping for an updated corporate attire. I wish I could go to the beach and just marvel at God's creation. Instead life is snowballing before me again and I'm only able to respond to the immediate concerns before me. I have vowed to set aside daydreams and face reality this year!

I need to put some order into my overlapping schedule too but I haven't claimed my planner which I annually get from a friend who works for Shell. My old boss is thinking of how to take me back amidst suggestions from my former officemates of possible positions for me - all of which seem incredulous at this point; a new boss is opening doors for me - I wonder where this will lead and if I should keep walking to find out; and my immediate previous boss called to ask some documents that the external auditor needs from the corporate secretary, which happens to be me until September. And then my mother called to ask me to pick her up from the department store as she shopped for some furniture for her extended kitchen. Four bosses in one day!

Between all these pressures I forgot to drink my antibiotics at midday. I wonder if it has something to do with my headache, dizziness and soreness tonight. I'm trying to get some work done (yes, I'm unemployed, but I still have work -- the things I get myself into) but my brain is not cooperating. So I blogged, the best escape from reality. Maybe in writing about my duties I could fulfill them one by one.

I wil remind myself that God is my only boss. The rest have to be aligned with His will for me or they would have to wait their proper turn. (Dear God, Hi. Uhmm as you know, I need a raise and I wish to take a paid vacation in one of your island properties, and I have many other requests but of course you know best so I will wait for your response... Thank you. It's me.)

No comments: