Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Only Christ Has Got the Power

"See to it that no one captivate you with an empty, seductive philosophy
according to the tradition of men,
according to the elemental powers of the world
and not according to Christ.

"For in him dwells the whole fullness of the deity bodily,
and you share in this fullness in him,
who is the head of every principality and power."


-- Colossians 2:8-9 (NAB), part of the First Reading today.

My thoughts exactly! Well, maybe not that eloquently, but I think this is a timely reminder for some of us.

"...obliterating the bond against us, with its legal claims, which was opposed to us,
he also removed it from our midst, nailing it to the cross;
despoiling the principalities and the powers,
he made a public spectacle of them,
leading them away in triumph by it." -- vv. 14-15 (NAB)

I have met this Jesus -- my Savior-- through His saving power in my life. He has obliterated all the principalities and powers. I no longer get confused by empty philosophies. There is One Diety, One God, and He is in Christ alone. This "sharing of fullness in him" does not mean that I can be God as well. Yes God is within me, but He is a separate and distinct personality. He created me and entered into a Father-Daughter relationship with me. If I only had a relationship with myself, what a boring, monotonous universe this would be! When blessings come my way, I have to be thankful to Someone - this is deeply ingrained in me as a human being, for God created me that way - for worship, and for eventual union with Him. I thank my God because I know Him. I do not thank some other elemental powers of the world, whose existence does not even have basis.

This probably sounds gibberish to most of you, but there are certain people whom I hope would read this verse and be enlightened. May their wandering minds be stilled and may they pine, search, yearn, and long for a personal relationship with Christ. My own search for truth, knowledge and love pointed me to the Lord - through His Cross, through His Word - back in 1993.

Come home to the Father and rest in His embrace. There is so much more to say on the matter but I am late for work already.

No comments: