Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mga Ka-Greenwich


Spent a lazy Sunday afternoon with the Pasaway Kids (clockwise, from me): Adam, Gerry, Hyvy, Joseph (belated HBD!), Jobelle, and Patrick. Three graduating high school seniors, two college students, and an incoming junior in high school. Ka-berks ni Ella, as Marlon put it. Now I know why I loved the Greenwhich jingle a couple of years ago, "Sarap Ka-Greenwich" so much that the Lingkod sisters altered the lyrics to write an honoring song for me on my 30th birthday. I didn't know then that I'd have people I'd choose to hang out at Greenwich with.


They couldn't wait to get together after learning that I stepped foot on Barangay Holy Spirit again. It took me a while to get my affairs in order and set aside enough time for their energetic company. I hauled them to Greenwich (Ever Gotesco branch, coolness), a place where we could fondly remember our first outing last year at nearby Philcoa branch, when we still had with us the hyperactive Bro. Daniel.

I asked them about courses they would take in college and schools they applied at. They asked me about my trip and, more importantly, if I would still be single by year 2008 and if I could accompany them to World Youth Day in Sydney. "Ate Ella, ilang taon ka na ba? Kelan ka pa mag-aasawa?", they asked innocently. I don't remember how I got out of that one.

In between the cross-examination questions, we ate pizza and talked about the Greenwich crew member who had an interesting past with one of the kids. They giggled, pointed, whispered, and made the two young people blush with embarassment. It was great entertainment, actually. With them, I'm 18 again. It's amusing to attempt to answer all their questions about life, travel, Lingkod, faith, God, and Disneyland. Most of the time I just laughed with them and admitted my own inability to feign wisdom and success.

I'm quite sure these kids would achieve their dreams too, in God's time. They study hard, pursue their talents, serve at Church, and seek Jesus. Fr. Bryan will be in-charge of their formation now. They're all excited about Bible study. When I was their age, Bible study was the last thing on my mind!

We have an alternative name, aside from The Posh. FreMGLs. Friends of the MGLs. We could almost hear their laughter across the grounds at Don Enrique when they find out about that title. I took it from my past life, for when I was a member of the Organization of Business Economics Majors (OBEM), we had FrOBEMers, Friends of OBEM, meaning non- Business Econ majors who were active in the org's activities and were always doing time at the tambayan. We're non-Australians, non-priests, non-seminarians all, but friends we definitely are with those missionaries of God's love who serve at our chapels. I know there are several other FreMGLs in the country and the world. Ka-berks. Ka-Greenwich. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Photography said...

nice blog. thanks

Unknown said...

Thanks. Do visit again, on a lucid interval I write things that make sense, other days I just write. :) I'll visit your blog, too. God bless.